Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Lesson in Humility

So this boy (actually he is 18, but still a boy in my eyes) who works at one of the stores I clean at night finds me on my hands and knees trying to get a black streak out that has been scratched into the wax. He mocks me by yelling:

 "Yeah!!!! Get that stain!!!"

 I just ignore him because I am trying to keep my blood pressure and bloodlust down these days. He then proceeds to ask me:

 "Do you really enjoy your job?"

 Stupid people either think I can't spot their condescension or that I am afraid to call them out, so I smile looking up at him and say:

 "You know, people have this misconception that ninja dressed in black pajamas all the time and nothing could be farther from the truth. In most cases they dressed as the imperial gardeners. Why? because no one cares what conversations are held within ear shot of the lowly gardeners. And when someone was poisoned or their throat was slashed; no one suspected the guy trimming the hedges… Besides, I make four dollars an hour more than you."

 For some reason he didn't have a retort or any more asinine questions for me. I wonder why?

No comments: